Saturday, June 18, 2011

It´s been over a month...

It´s been over a month since I´ve last written.

I went to a Reds game...at the Giant´s stadium.  It was incredibly cold, but the Reds won.  ...and I tried these things called garlic fries (sounds simple, right?) and they are allegedly ·also· the San Francisco treat.  ...and I apparently have not assimilated enough into the culture to enjoy them, but those who have swooped in to eat them.  Yucky little things.  ...but I did discover that we have a red plum tree in our back yard...fresh red plums that are only slightly tart and just...amazing.  CALIFORNIA!

Also, I sometimes go to trivia on Sunday nights at a bar not too far from here.  ...I´m pop culture-tarded, so I don´t know many answers, but I still have fun and get to spend time with my buddies.  I helped a friend from work move as well.  I´ve been to a few parties and gone to a few movies as well.  Life here has been good so far.  ...OH!  and I met a person on the BART.  ...he was reading a graphic novel that I´ve been meaning to check out, but just haven´t yet (it was Hack/Slash).   I´ve since been invited to go play board games, which sounds like a very exciting time.  :)  I imagine that not ALL nerds who play boardgames can be single.  ...not that I´m looking for a husband.

Actually, although I´ve given some updates, I really wanted to focus on the people I spend most of my time with here.  Since they´re such a huge part of my life (I don´t want to sound all mushy, but if I don´t see them for a day, I get a little sad), I want to talk about them and the silly way that at least a couple of my friends and I perceive ourselves.

They will be listed in alphabetical order, so they know that I´m not playing favorites.  Since three of them are J´s...I have to break out my dictionary to get them in the right order.  They are Jessica, Joel, Julian, and Zach (aka Scooter).

Jessica is my chick friend here.  She´s a young woman in her early 20s who is at the same time both a journalist and very gullible.  I feel like this is why she and I can get along. ...well, there are many reasons, but this is one of them.  She is from CA originally and knows the area super well, which makes it easy to find good places to go. ...I do have to say that I don´t entirely trust her taste in movies, but she has a record player and a shit load of records, and anyone who has these things is alright in my book.  She recently got to see some really awesome zebras.  She´s the equivalent of Jan Brady.

Joel is...well.  Joel is my roommate.  I live with him...because I have to...because I signed this piece of paper.  He rides a motorcycle, sings for a post-hardcore band and plays bass for an AC/DC cover band.  He´s also recently been employed.  Ladies...?  He´s available.  He definitely has his place here, but he´s also such a little boy in some ways.  ...I mean that affectionately, not like...in a bitch way.  If we were the Brady Bunch, he´d be Bobby.  There is all too much I could say about this boy.  I´m thankful for everything he´s done for me ever...and I´ve only known him for...a year or so.  Right now he´s helping me with music.  Also with getting over some fears.

Julian is the scientist.  He also rides motorcycles.  He also is in love with muay thai, which he´s been taking classes for...for almost the entire time since I´ve been here.  He´s super whiney, and should hire a maid to take care of him.  ...just. ...all of the time to follow him around and take care of him.  He´s definitely the smartest person I´ve ever met.  ...and I´m lucky that I can ask him all sorts of really silly science questions all of the time.  I´m making a painting for him. ...It´s going to be of the calabi yau.  This young adult has allowed me to engross myself in the Ender series.   Also, I recently broke his computer (which I feel awful about) and murdered the science he kept on it.  Julian is the Cindy Brady.  Kind of adorable (no lisp though) but mostly whiney and needy...but people are gonna do shit for him, because he´s Julian.

Last in the alphabet is Zach, who´s definitely the Mr. Brady.  Zach constantly contradicts himself in arguments.  He has such a strange taste in things dealing with women.  I imagine him in a few short years with a glass of scotch and a cigar...in his study or his cigar room. He´s also a skater, but he´s also...not dumb (not that skaters are dumb).  I´ll patiently wait for the day when he and I can have a really good conversation about something...anything really, except for music.  He has lived in CA for a while and knows where some good stuff is.  When we have to make decisions, it´s usually based on his preferences if he´s going.  We definitely do not see enough of him though, which I guess is what makes him the Mr. Brady.

All of these people are my core peeps.  There are other people I hang out with, but not as much as these fuckers.  It doesn´t matter what role I have (I´m the Alice Brady.  yeah, fucking alice.  not that it matters. this isn´t about me...kind of) because I just want to keep living this role as one of the people in this group.  I hope that other people can come into our group, and that if people need to leave it, they can without hard feelings.

All of these people have made my life immeasurably better than it would have been otherwise.  I truly believe that it takes about a year after moving to make and form the friendships that it´s taken me a few months to have.  I´m getting all mushy and stuff, but I really cherish each of these people.  I love all that they have given me.  I don´t need to question whether or not I´ve given anything to them.  I will just continue to enjoy the fuck out of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment